Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Challenge Failure

When I first read the challenge the thought that instantly came to my head was honey candy. My grandma (dad's mom) used to always have homemade honey candy when we visited. I finally tracked down the recipe. Well not so good. After you cook it you are supposed to let it cool and pull it like taffy. I had it down for only a couple of minutes and didn't realize how quickly it would harden. I couldn't try it again because I used the last of our sugar.



It ended up just like crumpled up brittle. I will try it again. It did taste pretty good, though.

2 comments:

Meg said...

I wonder if your sugar carmelized. I read somewhere that around 120-140 deg. it staysat that temp for a long time as the water is evaporating, but once a certain amount of the water evaporates, the temp shoots up really quickly. I've noticed that lately when we make suckers. In a few seconds they go from clear to darker brown.

Kim said...

Yeah maybe. I don't know because I just don't have experience making candy. I was wondering if it was because I used butter and the recipe called for margarine. Would that make a difference?