Friday, September 16, 2011

Homemade Cream of Wheat

Last night I was talking with a good friend about what we like to eat for breakfast. I was telling her how much I love Cream of Wheat but when I buy a box I get a little bit selfish with it because it never seems to last long and it is quite expensive. The kids love eating it too. She then told me that she makes her own....What?....How?... She doesn't follow a recipe when doing it and that is a problem for me because without a recipe in front of me I will surely mess it up. So I thought I would try it myself and just figure it out. I did look online and found a site that helped a little, Food Storage 101. I went downstairs to the food storage room and found my cans of hard white wheat that I never use. I thought I had red wheat (this is what my friend uses) but could not find any. I then pulled out my Victorio Grain Mill that Dale's mom gave us for Christmas but had never used before.


I put about 1/2 cup of the wheat into the grinder and ground it up, I set the grinder so that it was not grinding it to fine, like flour, but more coarse, it really did look just like Cream of Wheat. I then took 1/3 cup of the ground wheat and added 2/3 cups water and a pinch of salt, popped it in the microwave and cooked it for 1 minute. Then I stirred it and put it in for about 15 more seconds. Then I added brown sugar, butter and milk, just like we did when we were little. (My friend likes to put coconut oil in it, yummy) It was so delicious!!! I was so proud of myself. Who knew that I had everything to make my own favorite breakfast this whole time!! If any of you have had ZOOM! before it tastes like that and Cream of Wheat together, which in my opinion is just like heaven! :) Here is a picture, I apparently need lessons on how to take more appetizing pictures of my food. Happy eating everyone!!



2 comments:

Lucy said...

Oh man I want some of that right now! Way to be adventurous and try it out!

Meg said...

Thanks for posting. I don't have a wheat grinder, but I am going to try to process the wheat in our Vita-Mix. It has a dry blender that we have never tried out. Also thanks for the Food Storage 101 site!